"Can you tell us?" I asked.
"Well, I think you're having a girl. I can't be certain, because baby is straddling the umbilical cord, but see that..."
[She points to some blurry image that apparently made up girl parts.]
So of course Trip and I translate "can't be certain" as "you're having a baby girl!" So all week we had it in our heads that we were having a girl. Trip bought a book of baby names and we didn't even look in the boy section. We were already disagreeing on the shade of pink we would paint the nursery.
Fast forward to Friday, our second trimester ultrasound. Now, our OB had warned us that some technicians can be pretty testy, perhaps even a bit cold. But we were so fortunate -- our technician rocked. She was definitely all business in the beginning, but just thoroughly explained what the process was going to be, and said her main concern was our baby. She asked us if we wanted to know the sex, and that she would tell us during the warm and fuzzy family part at the end of the exam, after about 30 minutes of seriousness.
So during the important, serious, technical, don't-talk-to-me-because-I-am-concentrating exam, she says, "Well, I know what you are having. Quick, tell me your guesses."
"Girl."
"Girl."
"Girl, huh. Well, you're wrong. It's a boy. See, there's his wiener."
(Apparently the important, serious, technical term is "wiener".)
A boy. Oh my goodness, a boy! Of course we were both shocked at first, only because we were so certain we were having a girl. But that quickly faded for both of us as soon as we thought of our beautiful baby boy. We can't wait to meet him! I must have cried five times that day thinking about him...
Tears of joy for our Baby Boy Johnson.
(Or, "Baby Boy with a Johnson" as our technician proudly joked. Did I mention already how much we loved her?)
1 comment:
OMG! I had a feeling and even voted that you'd have a boy. Congratulations!!!
Post a Comment