First, I should update you all on the whole gestational diabetes thing. So, I went in on Tuesday for the three-hour glucose screening test (I know I said I would go on Saturday, but I really didn't want to waste a Saturday morning at the hospital). The fasting part wasn't so bad. The glucola part, however, was even worse this time around. They give you double the amount of glucose for this test, and drinking that on top of an empty stomach is not fun at all. I thought I was going to get sick, but the technician told me if I did I wouldn't be able to finish the test, so I made sure I didn't. Pregnant and fasting = no bueno. Suck it up, girlfriend, cause you are not doing this again.
Three hours and three blood draws later, they couldn't get a full vial out of me for the fourth and final draw. The technician I had for the final draw was the same pregnant lady I had for my one hour test. Funny. She had to call over an expert blood person (technical term) to make sure what she was able to get was enough, and thank goodness it was. My poor little veins couldn't take anymore. Three days later and I am still bruised!
So my doctor's office called on New Years Eve with the results. My stomach dropped at first, as my OB said she would only call if there was cause for concern. But she just wanted to call and tell me my results were great, and to have a good New Years. Hurray! Chocolate for all!
Back to New Years (and chocolate)... Trip and I started the evening with dinner at La Fondue, where we literally ate until we felt ill. In fact, Tripple said we can't go there anymore because we always feel obligated to eat everything, which is way more than anyone other than Michael Phelps should consume in one sitting. So we said we'll just go for dessert from now on. :) Put a bowl full of bittersweet chocolate in front of me and suddenly I have more room to eat!
After dinner we went to Adam and Renee's for a really nice, intimate New Years with about 15 people. My friend Linda, who is due about three weeks after me, was there, so I had someone to talk baby with all night. Which of course we did. It's so great to talk to someone that is going through the same aches, pains and emotions that you are.
So now it's New Years Day, and we started it out right by cooking a traditional Southern New Years meal (well, the vegetarian take): black eyed peas (eating one for every day is supposed to bring you good luck!), collard greens (to bring you money -- we need that!), corn bread, fried okra and squash, and Nay brought over a green bean casserole. Dessert was more Californian -- a simple fruit salad of pears, pineapple, oranges and banana. I have a feeling we'll be eating the black eyed peas for a fews days. Does that mean we'll have extra extra good luck?
Like I said, I know without a doubt this is going to be a great year. Lots of changes, lots of big milestones, lots of great times with family and friends!
No comments:
Post a Comment